Terrazzo flooring is a versatile and pretty material. Its usage dates back at least 1500 years. It is also a very environmentally friendly flooring material. Some terrazzo flooring includes recycled glass aggregate. It can include as much as 75% recycled raw material. That is measured by volume. Terrazzo flooring is a great looking option for your home and can last a long time but it does need a certain amount of care and maintenance to keep it looking great. There are specific ways you should go about terrazzo tile cleaning. Here are some tips from terrazzo restoration and polishing experts.
- Make sure your floors are completely clean before you polish. Your terrazzo floors need to be totally clean and dry before you start to polish them. What you need to do is take a clean-up mop. Dampen it with a little bit of water. Take some terrazzo tile cleaner, make sure it is pH neutral, and use it to clean your entire terrazzo tile surface. If you use a microfiber or soft mop you can prevent creating any scratches on the tile surface. Any dirt or sand that is left behind can scratch your tile surface.
- Get rid of any dirt, dust or grime on the tile. Do not stop cleaning your floor until you have been able to get rid of any traces of dirt, dust, sand or anything else on the surface of your terrazzo tile. Experts in terrazzo restoration and polishing say that you cannot be too careful when it comes to protecting your tile. Before you put anything back on the tile such as furniture or rugs, make sure the surface has dried completely. Do not let anyone walk on the terrazzo flooring until it is totally dry.
- Seal it! One of the best things you can do to maintain your terrazzo tile’s great look is to seal it. Once you have thoroughly cleaned your terrazzo flooring and it is completely dry, you can work on sealing it. Talk to your terrazzo restoration and polishing experts to get a good sealer for your flooring. Use the correct applicator to apply a layer of the sealer. The right kinds of applicators can include either a floor roller or brush. Make sure you apply the sealer evenly over the surface of the floor. Let the sealer dry. This can be left overnight.
- Buff that floor! After you have allowed the sealer to completely dry, you are ready to buff the floor. You can go to your local terrazzo restoration and polishing company to rent a quality machine to buff your flooring. If you have a lot of terrazzo tile cleaning needs, you may want to consider buying a buffing machine. When you are getting your buffing equipment, select a light colored pad. This is the best kind of pad to avoid causing any discoloration or staining of your terrazzo tile flooring. The company where you get the buffing machine can get you a pad that is designed specifically to be used in terrazzo floor polishing.
- Polishing powder is your friend. You will need to use a lot of terrazzo polishing powder. If you are using it correctly, the powder will turn into what will look like a muddy mess. Do not worry, that is exactly what it is supposed to do. The muddy mess means that the polishing powder is finding its way into your terrazzo tile. What you want is for all of the polishing powder to be fully absorbed by the terrazzo floor. The more you run over the terrazzo tile with the machine and it will all be absorbed.
- Use a mop to clean it all up. After you are done with the polisher, take a mop and dampen it with some water. In what will feel like a repeat of the first step in the process, clean the floor with a soft, damp mop. If you need or want to, you can run over your terrazzo tile flooring with more polishing powder and buffing machine until you get the look you are working towards.
Follow these steps and your terrazzo tile flooring should stay looking shiny and new for a very long time.